Saturday, October 23, 2010

Optimal Loadouts: Combat Drugs and Wych Weapons

Not quite a loadout option, per se, but with Sliscus as my most likely HQ choice, I thought I'd do some math and figure out which combat drug options were the most desirable and in combination with which wych weapons. The options are:

3D6 and pick the highest on run moves*
+1S
+1WS
+1A
Reroll CC wounds
+1 pain token

I'm going to calculate the average number of kills on the charge for a single wych and for one with each type of wych weapon. (the 2 good ones, anyways) I will then use the numbers to determine which setup I can expect to perform the best.


v MEq v GEq v 5's@
CCW +1S 0.25 1.111 0.055
+1WS 0.222 1.041 0.041
+1A 0.222 1.111 0.037
+rrW 0.277 1.25 0.050
 
Razorflail +1S 0.562   1.975   0.154
+1WS 0.493 1.822 0.114
+1A 0.555 2.222 0.113
+rrW 0.416 1.666 0.084
 
Hydra Gauntlet +1S 0.458 2.037 0.152
+1WS 0.407 1.909 0.076
+1A 0.361 1.808 0.060
+rrW 0.509 2.291 0.093

@ - 5's is a statline I usually run math against in these sorts of comparisons. Generally speaking, it is a unit with 5's across its statline and a 2+ (5 chances to save) hence 5's. It doesn't necessarily represent a specific unit, but it is something that is supposed to be a very tough enemy that is generally the most trouble I expect to run into with generalist troops. It is supposed to show a worst-case scenario type of encounter. Obviously plenty of things have T6 or higher, but if I'm charging a 'fex it really won't matter. Either the wyches are my last unit, the 'fex is his last unit, or it's a desperate bottom-of-the-9th move that the entire game rests upon; in any case, it's not something I'm going to be planning for when I choose which drugs I want.


So now that we have our killing values, let's see what loadout will be the best.
(I'm assuming 8 CCW wyches with 1 special weapon, the 10th is the Haemonculus, so each value will be 8*wych + RF or HG)

v MEq   v GEq v 5's
8 + 1Razorflail +1S 2.562 10.86 0.594
+1WS 2.269 10.15 0.442
+1A 2.331 11.11 0.409
+rrW 2.632 11.67 0.484
 
8 + 1Hydra Gaunt +1S 2.458 10.93   0.592
+1WS 2.183 10.24 0.404
+1A 2.137 10.7 0.356
+rrW 2.725 12.29 0.493

Well there we have it. Generally speaking, the razorflail comes out on top. On average, that is. The problem (and strength) with the gauntlets is they are random. Attacks become 1+D6, which can be great if you roll all 4+, but awful if you roll 3-. As Brent says, "consistent is competitive". What this math shows is that, fortunately, we can take the more reliable option and know that it is both more consistent and better on average. We can have that reliability without gimping ourselves. What will end up happening if you take the gauntlets is every 3-strong squad of guardsmen you face will roll 6's, and every group of TWC will roll 1's. That's just how it goes, so the dependability will be very nice to have.

So I think I will take a razorflail in my wych squad and prioritize drugs as follows:

1(0.305) - Reroll wounds
2(0.25) - +1S
3(0.194) - +1A
4(0.138) - +1WS
5(0.111) - D3 run/pain token depending on the situation

Even though the flails come with reroll to wounds and thus the drugs are wasted on them, the effects they have on the rest of the squad are enough to make it the best option.

The paren values represent the chance that I will get that outcome. Yes, in 2 dice each value has the same percent chance of being rolled (assuming perfectly fair dice, lawl) but if I roll a 2 and a 1, the 2 doesn't count because I'll pick the 1 every time. For example, there are only 4 rolls in 36 possible that will make me choose my least favorable option: (1,1)(1,6)(6,1)(6,6). Pretty favorable odds, if you ask me.

============================================

* - If I can help it, I don't plan to take either a 1 or a 6 on the roll for this. D3 on a run move doesn't seem especially useful since I don't expect them to do much running**, and the free pain token is nice but they already get 1 free from the haemonculus and with I6 already, furious charge isn't going to be as useful as a flat +1S.

** - You know, because AV10 open-topped skimmers are so durable...

7 comments:

  1. Do you do this sort of thing with other armies and abilities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are Shardnets not a good option then ? I am interested as I am thinking about using the , a squad can end up with 4++ FNP ad defensive grenades, throw in the shardnet effects and they are going to be very hard to shift.....

    Otherwise, yeah , re roll wounds all the way , for me I think I'll be running shard nets with re roll wounds where possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Loquacious: I have done this quite a bit for Space Wolves back when I was thinking about running them. Outside of 40k, it is something that I tend to do in many facets of my life. Not this exact type of analysis, perhaps, but math in general comes into play a lot whenever I have to make any sort of decision.

    Dethtron is cooking up something for me along the vein of what I think you may be asking. More to come on that.


    To Sorrowshard: I generally only have the weekends during which to blog, so I do all of my writing on Friday and half of Saturday and then just schedule them throughout the next week. (when I have things to write, at least) So I actually wrote this last weekend. Since then I have had an epiphany of sorts about wych weapons and will be putting up another post about it pretty soon. Pretty much, shardnets are going to be what I take. In my opinion, they sort of go against the role of the unit in the codex, but you're right on the money with the extra durability they offer.

    It's actually a pretty decent example of why mathhammer can be dangerous. I was just focusing on the numbers rather than the big picture, and I completely missed the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, ok, Its also worth mentioning that clever positioning of shardnets will pay off , Have also been contemplating the fact that the elites can pack more nets and Lelith has one too. I'm not sure how it will all stack with defensive grenades mind .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zheilt- Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    Also, how do you get scheduling to actually WORK? I've tried it repeatedly and my posts just end up sitting in draft mode, not published.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I assume they all look the same, but I can't guarantee yours is the same as mine. What I do, though, is at the bottom is a little link that says Post Options that I click. This brings down a little menu thing where I set an option to "Scheduled at" and select a date for the post to go up. Then I click publish post, and it schedules it.

    My guess would be you're clicking Save instead of Publish. That confused me for a bit too at first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zheilt- thanks. I think you're probably right.

    ReplyDelete