Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Army List Part 4: Wishful Thinking

I have mixed feelings for the new Blood Angels codex. It has a lot of pieces that I like, but I really don't think I like it as a whole.

Librarian Dreadnoughts
Magna Grapple
Storm Ravens
Jump Infantry Troops
The psychic powers
THE MODELS!!!!
etc.

I would love to make a Blood Angels list made exclusively of these things. Let's see:

HQ
The Sanguinor (because he's awesome)

ELITE
Furioso Librarian
Furioso Librarian
Furioso Librarian

TROOPS
5 Assault Troops - Meltagun\Infernus Pistol*\Power Weapon
5 Assault Troops - Meltagun\Infernus Pistol*\Power Weapon
5 Assault Troops - Meltagun\Infernus Pistol*\Power Weapon
5 Assault Troops - Meltagun\Infernus Pistol*\Power Weapon

HEAVY
Storm Raven - MM/TLLC/Hurrican Bolters
Storm Raven - MM/TLLC/Hurrican Bolters
Storm Raven - MM/TLLC/Hurrican Bolters


Hm, leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, and it's probably well over 2000 points. It's sort of cool, maybe, but I don't know if I would like to play it. Storm Ravens are fething sweet, but AV12 is pretty terrible on something as dangerous as they. Sure they get the anti-melta rules, but S10 still basically autopens. That and they're dangerous enough that they'll basically be focus-fired until they're all down. Also, they really don't have any cargo to hold. The dreadnoughts and troops could go in there, I guess. The troops have jump packs so they don't really need the extra mobility, and the dreadnoughts can take Wings which puts them in the same boat. Although, if they can, lance and sword would be the better choice.

I don't know. That's why this one is the wishful thinking list. It's made up of all my favorites parts of the codex, but they don't really add up to as much as I'd like. Maybe if Grey Knights get Storm Ravens and can make decent lists with them, I'll try some. I'm not really seeing it happen until then, though.


Big expensive transports like these have a major problem that I don't like: they do too much. Sure Land Raiders are worth 250 points because they are AV14 all around, can have crazy guns, and can hold a ton of models including ones in terminator armor, but could I maybe have a dumbed down version that doesn't do everything? Maybe an AV14 rhino? Or an AV14 gunboat of some sort? Same thing with Storm Ravens. I'd love to pay half the cost for the same thing minus the transport capability, or minus the hardcore guns, or whatever else. They just do too much stuff, and I don't like it.

It's like the PS3. It does everything! Yeah, but it launched at like $500. I don't need my PS3 to play DVDs, or Blue Rays, or act as a DVR, or whatever. Can I pay like $200 for the version that only plays games? No? Well, guess I'm not getting a PS3 then.

Except that in 40k it's sort of a moot argument because Space Marines with Vendettas and Leman Russes would probably be a bit imba. Still, I can dream.

Also, as much as it pains me to say so, vampires aren't cool anymore. There was a time when an army of space vampires was a pretty sweet idea. The halcyon days of vampires in the media, as it were. The days when hearing about the next upcoming vampire movie meant things like Blade, Underworld, Ultraviolet, Vampires (the one with James Woods), From Dusk Til Dawn, need I continue? Now it just means the next crappy teen/mid-life drama bullshit. Thanks a lot Stephenie Ass-meister.***


===================================

* People call them hair dryers, but when I read that all I can think of are the Pretty Marines.**

** ALWAYS ANGRY! ALL THE TIME!!

*** Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment