Monday, July 26, 2010

On Pronouns

I've been trying to avoid using pronouns like "you" when writing here. I don't intend to write as if I am speaking to someone. There are two main reasons for this:

1) To assume that I have an audience on my young, content-free blog would speak not so greatly of my ego.

2) Realizing this but writing as if I'm speaking to someone anyways is just kind of sad.

So, I've been trying to avoid using 'you' in my posts. I have been marginally successful with this so far. However, it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep up. As you (watch what I do here*) may have noticed, I've decided to quit trying.

I think in conversations. I don't think in pictures, or music, or binary (as much as I may like to), I think in conversations. When thinking about anything, I have protracted conversations with myself on the subject and that's how I process ideas. I used to hate it, but now I've learned to embrace it. This post I'm writing right now, in fact, I already discussed at length with myself the other day.

Given this, it's hard for me to write down my thoughts without being addressive. (be addressive, B E addressive!) So, I've decided to just write what I'm thinking and leave it at that. So if I happen to use 'you' when I write, it's more like I'm talking to myself than to my assumed audience that doesn't exist. (hmm, on second thought, I'm not quite sure which is more sad...)

This also serves as the preface to the most recent idea I've had for this blog. As someone who is always having these internal conversations**, I've decided that if any of them are interesting, I'm going to put them up here. Don't really know how that will go, but we'll see. The hobby aspect of this blog (and it's entire purpose, by extension) has basically dried up and disappeared. I like having an outlet for writing though, so I'm going to try to keep it going. Content be damned!


============================================

* - This statement being the preemptive version of "see what I did there"

* - I mean, literally always***. If I'm not already engaged in a conversation with someone in real life, or asleep, there's a good chance I'm talking to myself in my head. This used to drive me crazy at night when I was trying to fall asleep, but I've learned to deal with it fairly well.

** - I am literally sick and tired of people misusing the word literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment